FEATURED POSTS

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Terminating my Globe Postpaid plan: A Horrible Experience


EDIT: It has been a year since this happened and I am only publishing it now because I am sure without a shadow of a doubt that I am free from Globe's evil clutches.

When it comes to account termination, Globe is like the psycho girl who wouldn't let you break up with her.

This is a firsthand story of my horrible experience in my attempts to terminate my Globe postpaid plan. FYI: I had two attempts before they finally agree to terminate my plan.

Planning to close your Globe account as well? Read on, to know what you are up against.
TLDR; Globe is evil
Okay, first things first.

I had my Globe plan for 2 years, it's auto-debited to my credit card, so its always paid at the end of the month, I'm pretty sure they don't have any problems with me when it comes to payment. 

It said on my Globe online profile that my contract with them will expire on June 9, 2015. I have screenshots to prove it. Also, when I applied for a Globe plan 2 years ago, it was pretty clear they told me the lock-in period was 2 years.

Now that we're clear on that, let me continue with the story. 
I only wanted one thing; to terminate my Globe plan. pretty simple right? but no, it felt like I had to walk through fire, jump through hoops, and swim in a lake of lava just to force them to terminate my plan. Imagine the inconvenience I experienced, think about hours of my life wasted talking to their representatives on the phone.

Yes, on the phone.

April 26, 2015

My first attempt, I went to a Globe store and told them I wanted to close my account. A guy who looked like the security guard lead me to the corner of the store where a phone is hanging on the wall. he called a number and told me to wait for someone to answer it.

I waited around 5-10 minutes before somebody finally talked to me.

After I told them I wanted to close my account, they asked me a few questions to verify my identity and confirm that I was indeed the owner of the account. 

The conversation went something like this: (disclaimer, may not be the exact words, just writing this from memory)

Me: My contract will expire on June 9, but I no longer want to continue my postpaid plan, after the expiration could you terminate my account.
CSR: May I know the reason why you want to terminate your account?
Me: I'm not happy with your service anymore, I want to switch network
CSR: I understand, what kind of service are you not happy about?
Me: I don't like your Internet services, there's no more unlimited data
CSR: I see

okay pause: I've wanted to be honest with them on the real reason why I wanted to close my account, thinking that it will help them provide better service and let them know what consumers really want. But it turned out to be a bad idea.

After a few more minutes of waiting for the CSR to look at my account and verify things, the CSR said she cannot see the lock-in period of my account in the database and she cannot terminate my account until she verifies that my lock-in period was indeed completed. (smells like bullshit)

I told her that it said on my Globe online profile that my contract expiration is June 9, 2015. so from what I understand, the lock-in period will also end on the same day as the expiration date. But she insisted that if I want to avoid unwanted charges, I should let her verify the lock-in period first and it will take some time. feeling defeated, I finally agreed. She gave me a reference number and told me she would contact me as soon as she verifies the lock-in period and we can continue with the termination.

I begrudgingly agreed. And she began to tell me about their new promos and even tried to persuade me to re-contract because its a shame I won't get my free phone cause I didn't want to renew my plan. She even asked me if there was anybody I could transfer my postpaid account to, a family member or a friend maybe. And last, they asked me if I wanted to retain my number instead and told me about Plan 0 (not writing about this cos by this time I wasn't listening anymore). Because I was a nice person I politely said I wasn't interested and she said she will contact me within the week

THEY NEVER CALLED.

I should have known. but I was too nice and polite. It seems impossible for something as important as a lock-in period to not be in their database or at least in the contract you signed with them. so pro tip to everyone, if you know your lock-in period and you have proof don't let them trick you by telling you its not in their database.

I decided to wait until the date of the expiration of my contract before I proceed with my next attempt to terminate my Globe account.

During that time, I discovered that there's a "Request for copy of Contract" button on the Globe online profile (Globe website). I clicked this button and I was emailed a copy of my contract details from Globe, and it said there: lock-in period: 24 months

Thats when I got angry and told myself the next time I go to Globe to terminate my account, I am not leaving there until they agree to terminate it.

Fast forward to today: June 12, 2015

My second attempt. I went to Globe store again and was given a service number. There were 20 people before me in the queue. I waited 1 hour and it seems like the queue wasn't moving at all.

I wanted to give up, but I couldn't. I just wanted to get it over with and terminate my Globe account because I don't wanna be inconvenienced anymore by their crappy service. so I told myself to stay strong, if I was gonna be inconvenienced by Globe, it will be the last time. 

But srsly guys, while I was waiting there I felt like I aged 10 years. I've had an existential crisis and I almost believed in "forever", waiting for so long in the queue. I decided to walk around and figure out whats taking so long. And it turned out a woman who was complaining about Globe overcharging and not letting her terminate her account was holding up the line.

So instead of waiting for my turn at the queue, I decided to try my luck at the hotline again. I walked to the corner where the phone was located and dialed the hotline number.

First, I dialed the number for the re-contracting department. Got to talk to someone and told her I wanted to close my account. Then the usual verification process. She asked why I wanted to close my account, and this time I decided I would tell them a different reason: so I told them I will close it because I am no longer using it.

She said she will redirect me to the Postpaid department.

And here is where Globe's evil is apparent.

Another person answered the phone and to summarize, our conversation went like this:

CSR: Why do you want to terminate your account?
Me: I am no longer using it
CSR: I understand, are you aware of the charges that you have to pay once you terminate your account?
Me: What charges? My lock-in period is already completed so I don't have to pay any charges. What are you talking about?
CSR: I see. Okay for a while.

*Long pause*

CSR: I can see that you haven't paid your recent bill for June and your account cannot be terminated until you pay the bill
Me: My bill is autodebited to my credit card so technically its already paid. I don't see any problem here. So why can't you terminate my account?
CSR: Okay. Wait for a while.

*Long pause*

Here is when I lost my shit

CSR: ma'am I just have to redirect this call to my supervisor-
Me: *doesn't let him finish* Why do you I need to speak to your supervisor?? Can't you terminate my account yourself??
CSR: ma'am the termination needs to be approved by my supervisor
Me: *ANGRY* WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT NEEDS TO BE APPROVED BY YOUR SUPERVISOR. I AM A CONSUMER AND THIS IS MY ACCOUNT, IF I WANT IT TERMINATED I CAN HAVE IT TERMINATED IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE APPROVED BY ANYONE

*I can hear voices in the background but can't quite make them out*

CSR: Okay ma'am. Let me redirect your call to the correct department for the termination.
Me: ISN'T THIS THE CORRECT DEPARTMENT? I WAS ALREADY REDIRECTED TO THIS HOTLINE
CSR: This is the Postpaid department ma'am. I don't have access to terminate your account
Me: THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU REDIRECT ME IN THE FIRST PLACE. AFTER ALL THAT TALK YOU TELL ME YOU WILL JUST REDIRECT MY CALL

*Long pause*

CSR: ma'am I'm telling you now that I will redirect your call to the correct department.
Me: *I don't give a fuck anymore* fine.

Again another person answered the phone to talk to me. The usual process of verification.
And again they asked me why I wanted to terminate my account, and I said I am no longer using it.

CSR: Are you going to switch to another network?
Me: No, I don't ever wanna use a phone ever (I lied)
CSR: Do you at least want to retain your number
Me: NO. I said I don't wanna use a phone ever so why would I retain my number??

I realized what I said was a smart lie. by telling them I don't wanna use a phone ever, all their evil strategies no longer work, all their persuasion of better phones, and alternative plans are meaningless. HA! I finally beat you bitches.

CSR: Do you want to transfer your account? a family member or a friend?
Me: No, NO. *thinking: "for the love of baby jesus god, just terminate my mfcking account*

CSR: I just want you to be aware on the terms of terminating your account, it will no longer be reconnected after termination, Have you registered your globe account to BPI or Gcash?
Me: No. 

Thank god I've never used that or they will use it against me and it will hold me off from terminating my account.

CSR: Okay, I can see that the lock-in period is already completed. And the contract expiration is June 9. 2015

Okay wait. HE CAN SEE THE LOCK IN PERIOD. SO IN MY FIRST ATTEMPT WHY WAS I TOLD THAT IT WAS NOT IN THE DATABASE. THESE FILTHY LIARS

CSR: I have received your request to terminate your account. Your account will be terminated within 24 hours.

And that was it. Finally my account was terminated. To be fair, the last person I talked to who terminated my account seemed like an honest person who was actually doing his job. but still. I WENT THROUGH ALL THAT JUST TO TERMINATE MY ACCOUNT? Account termination shouldn't be that hard.

It seems like they would put you through the most inconvenient situations on purpose just to discourage you from terminating your contract. THEY ARE LIKE THE TOXIC LOVER WHO WOULDN'T GET OUT OF YOUR LIFE. But stay strong and know your rights as a consumer. Fight for what you want and don't let them trick you, don't get persuaded by their evil ways of offering alternative plans and new phones. IT'S A TRAP.

Good riddance, Globe. Its so nice to be free from your evil clutches of overcharging, bad customer service, and crappy internet.

PS.

Pro tip: When they ask you why you wanna terminate your account: Just lie to them and give the same reason I did. It worked for me, might work for you. You're welcome. And goodluck trying to terminate your Globe account.


11 comments :

  1. Thanks for this! hahaha I better be ready. Contract is ending Feb 2017. Have been waiting for that dmned day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha got the same feeling when my contract was ending as well. goodluck!

      Delete
  2. Can I able to cancel our contract as they did not send back the unit that is still under repair due to malfunctioning... It has been more than a month as they promise to give us and yet no unit was given back. They billed us for service that we did not receive and they advise us to look for other unit so we can use the sim card that they provided while the unit to be given to us is still pending...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reasonable that they should let you cancel the contract, but I am in no position to speak in behalf of Globe. Best to consult them directly. Sorry if I can't help you on this :( hope it works out for you.

      Delete
  3. I want to terminate my account T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you think you deserve better. terminate it! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog. I will definitely use your reason. I'm so fed up with globe I will cancel my account once my contract is ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problem. I found it necessary to share my experience because I couldn't find any information about it online and I needed help when I was the one cancelling my contract. Glad to be of help to you :)

      Delete